* * * * * * * * * * * *
Have you ever given yourself the absolute permission to screw things up, learn, and move on?
I’m going to draw a line in the sand here and say that there is NO WAY to succeed with our BOLD goals if we do not give ourselves the permission to screw it up BIG time and learn from it.
This is about letting go of perfectionism, challenging ourselves to find our growing edge, and taking chances. In our fitness, and in our life.
I personally had to screw it up BIG time in my health and fitness journey to be where I am now. My big screw ups looked a little something like this:
* Emotionally eating and gaining weight in college
* Getting wrapped up in the media of what a “ideal” body looked like and comparing myself to those standards
* Running my body into the ground, causing serious injury due to over-exercise
* Under-nourishing my body till I was perpetually sick and tired
* Spending hundreds of dollars of quick fixes and diet pills that left me worse off than I started
Can we all agree that I’ve had a few screw ups in my healthy journey? And I could regret every single minute of that time. Or I can let go, call it a learning experience, and move forward. I can say that moving forward was the best decision I could have made. It looks like:
* Experimenting with what works for me and my body
* Being open to self acceptance and love
* Giving up on “perfection” and comparison
* Surrounding myself with people who love and support me
I am now living a healthy life that I love in a body that I adore.
I truly believe that this is possible for everyone. It requires that we stop beating ourselves up for what has happened in the past. Experiment and trust ourselves while going forward. Screw ups are all part of the journey. Accept it, own it.
What is possible if you let go of what has been holding you back, and committed to moving forward knowing that it’s not going to be perfect? Maybe even screwing it up a little bit more along the way?
Perfection is overrated anyway.
So, in case you still need to hear it from someone who's been there, done that ---
Here are 5 steps to getting you moving forward again:
- Give yourself permission to screw it up
- Let go of what past stories are still holding you back from the health lifestyle that you want
- Experiment with what works for you. Try something, screw it up, and try again
- Keep moving forward, doing the best you can each given day
- Love yourself and love the process
It’s that simple (although not-so-easy)! What has your journey looked like? Where has it gotten a little screwed up, and where have you seen some momentum moving forward?
About Stephanie Williamson: